Window Treatments Designed
for Child and Pet Safety
Style Second to None.SM
Every Smith & Noble window treatment meets or exceeds stringent industry and government safety guidelines. For homes with small children and pets, there's no better way to eliminate risk than to use one of our cordless or motorized products. Whatever your needs, safety comes first. But with Smith & Noble, style is always top notch.
The Risk of Un-Safe Treatments
The CPSC has determined that corded window coverings are one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes, with infants and children dying each year from accidentally strangling in window cords. Some of these incidents involve older products that are still in use but don't have the safety devices or designs instituted in the past decade.
Smith & Noble is an active member of the WCSC, and we feel an obligation as a window covering industry leader to protect consumers from potential dangers by offering education and solutions that minimize or eliminate the risks.
Please download our brochure on child and pet safety here to learn more.
We urge you to retrofit or replace any potentially dangerous window coverings with today's safer products. WCSC and CPSC recommend that only cordless window coverings, or those with inaccessible cords, be used in homes with young children.
Tips on Making Your Windows Safe
In conjunction with the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) and the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), we urge parents and caregivers to check window coverings, as they can pose a strangulation risk to infants and young children, if they have exposed or dangling cords.
- Move all furniture, cribs, beds and climbable surfaces away from windows
- Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young children
- Make sure tasseled pull cords are as short as possible.
- Continuous-loop pull cords on draperies and vertical blinds should be pulled tight and anchored to the floor or wall.
- Be sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit inner-cord movement
- Keep all window cords well out of the reach of children
Please download our brochure on child and pet safety to learn more.