Collection of Information
The following list provides examples of the types of information that we collect from you and how we use that information:
Customer Information. We collect the name, and contact information, of our customers.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in contacting our customers and communicating with them concerning normal business administration such as orders, services, shipping and billing, and to provide additional information regarding products.
Additionally, trusted third party partners may combine your email information with other information they have access to, such as mailing address, so that we may serve relevant marketing offers to you via direct mail.
Cookie Section below for more information.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in making our website operate efficiently.
Cookies and Third Party Tracking. We participate in behavior-based advertising, this means that a third party uses technology (
g., a cookie) to collect information about our customers’ use of our website so that the third party can provide advertising about products and services tailored to our customers’ interests on our website, or on other websites. See our
Cookie Section below for more information.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in engaging in behavior-based advertising and capturing website analytics.
Email Interconnectivity. If you receive email from us, we use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains, order services and make purchases.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how you interact with our communications to you.
- Employment.If you apply for a job posting, seeking additional information about employment in the window treatment industry, or become an employee, we collect information necessary to process your application or to retain you as an employee. This may include, among other things, your Social Security Number. Providing this information is required for employment.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We use information about current employees to perform our contract of employment, or in anticipation of a contract of employment with you. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about our employees. We also have a legitimate interest in using your information to have efficient staffing and work force operations.
Feedback/Support. If you provide us feedback or contact us for support, we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other information that you send to us, in order to reply.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in receiving, and acting upon, your feedback or issues.
Mailing List. When you sign up for one of our mailing lists we collect your email address or postal address.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We share information about our products and services with individuals that consent to receive such information. We also have a legitimate interest in sharing information about our products or services.
Additionally, Smith & Noble may hire a third party to send mail to you based of information that third party has about you, such as your address and demographic data. Smith & Noble never sees this information, and the third party’s privacy practices apply in this scenario.
Mobile Devices. We collect information from your mobile device such as unique identifying information broadcast from your device when visiting our website.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in identifying unique visitors, and in understanding how users interact with us on their mobile devices.
Order Placement. We collect your name, billing address, shipping address, e-mail address, phone number, and credit card information when you place an order.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We use your information to perform our contract to provide you with products or services.
Partner Promotion. We collect information that you provide as part of a co-branded promotion with another company.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in fulfilling our promotions.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in understanding your opinions, and collecting information relevant to our organization.
Request a Consultation. When you request an in-home service from Smith & Noble we collect information from you necessary to provide the consultation, such as your address or contact information.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We collect this information based on your consent to receive a consultation.
Sweepstakes or Contests. When you participate in a sweepstakes or contest we collect information about you which includes contact information, in order to notify you, in the event that you are selected.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in operating the sweepstakes. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about those who enter our sweepstakes, and we have a legitimate interest in complying with those laws.
Website Interactions. We use technology to monitor how you interact with our website. This may include which links you click on, or information that you type into our online forms. This may also include information about your device or browser.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how you interact with our website, in order to improve it, and to understand your preferences and interests, in order to select offerings that you might find most useful. We also have a legitimate interest in detecting and preventing fraud.
Web Logs. We collect information, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to a computer when the Internet is used), domain name, click-activity, referring website, and/or a date/time stamp for visitors.
Purpose for Collection and Use: We have a legitimate interest in monitoring our networks and the visitors to our websites. Among other things, it helps us understand which of our products and services are the most popular.
In addition to the information that we collect from you directly, we may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, our affiliates, or publicly available sources. For example, if you submit a job application, or become an employee, we may conduct a background check.
How We Use Information
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we use information in the following ways:
- To identify you when you visit our websites.
- To provide products and services, including replacement parts, or to process remakes.
- To improve our services and product offerings.
- To register your warranty.
- To conduct analytics.
- To set up in-home service appointments.
- To respond to inquiries related to customer support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- To send marketing and promotional materials, including information relating to our products, services, sales, or promotions.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage our relationships.
Although the sections above describe our primary purpose in collecting your information, in many situations we have more than one purpose. For example, if you complete an online purchase we may collect your information to perform our contract with you. We also collect your information because we have a legitimate interest in maintaining your information after your transaction is complete, so that we can quickly and easily respond to any questions about your order. As a result, our collection and processing of your information is based in different contexts upon your consent, our need to perform a contract, our obligations under law, and/or our legitimate interest in conducting our business.
How are cookies used for advertising purposes? Cookies and other ad technology such as beacons, pixels, and tags help us serve relevant ads to you more effectively. They also help us provide aggregated auditing, research, and reporting for advertisers, understand and improve our service, and know when content has been shown to you. We may use third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may employ cookies and clear GIFs to measure advertising effectiveness. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of these third party advertising companies, if you have any concerns. Note: Because your web browser may request advertisements and beacons directly from third party ad network servers, these networks can view, edit, or set third party cookies, just as if you had requested a web page from their site. Ads served by us may also set third party cookies.
Unless you clear these cookies from your browser, we may use this information to:
- provide more relevant, interest-based advertising
- provide aggregate reports of ads activity to advertisers and websites hosting the ads
- help website and app owners understand how visitors engage with their sites or apps
- detect and defend against fraud and other risks to protect users and partners
- improve our products
Controlling cookies. Most browsers allow you to control and erase cookies through their settings preferences. However, if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may worsen your overall user experience, since it will no longer be personalized to you. Additionally, some features may work improperly or not at all. It may also prevent you from saving customized settings.
In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this policy, we disclose information in the following situations:
- Affiliates and Acquisitions. We may share information with our corporate affiliates (e.g., parent company, sister companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control). If another company acquires, or plans to acquire, our company, business, or our assets, we may also share information with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may disclose your information to third parties where we have a legitimate interest in providing you our products or services. This includes sharing your information with third party contract manufacturing and installation service providers of our products, as well as our third party marketing partners. In addition, we may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. We may also share your information in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies, or to comply with your request for the shipment of products to or the provision of services by a third party intermediary.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with service providers. Among other things service providers may help us to administer our website, conduct surveys, provide technical support, process payments, and assist in the fulfillment of orders.
Control Your Information
You can make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access to Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you. Note that California residents may be entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for direct marketing.
- Deletion of Your Personal Information. Typically we retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. You may, however, request information about how long we keep a specific type of information, or request that we delete your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another business purpose.
- Objection to Certain Processing. You may object to our use or disclosure of your personal information by contacting us at the address described below.
- Online Tracking. We do not currently recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "Do Not Track" instructions.
- Promotional Emails. You may choose to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send free newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials to you, as well as targeted offers from third parties. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service-related communications.
- Revocation of Consent. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information, then we may no longer be able to provide you services. In some cases, we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity. You may revoke consent to processing (where such processing is based upon consent) by contacting us at the address described below.
Protection of Personal Information
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach of your personal information, we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Transmission of Information to Other Countries. Your information may be processed in a foreign country where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country. By submitting your personal information to us, you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your information in a country other than your country of residence including, but not necessarily limited to, the United States.
- Third Party Applications/Websites. We have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own.
If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning our privacy practices please contact us at the appropriate address below. We will attempt to respond to your requests in a timely manner and to provide you with additional privacy-related information.
Effective Date : January 1, 2020